Weybosset St. in Providence featuring Loew's Theater and the Beneficent Congregational Church. Loew's was threatened with demolition in 1977 and it was saved by a consortium of local businesses, foundations and government agencies. In 1978, the building reopened as the Providence Performing Arts Center. The Beneficent Congregational Church was built in 1809 by Bernard, Eddy, and John Newman and was remodeled in 1836 by Tallman & James C. Bucklin.
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Creator 3 Dates
Creator 3 Role
Creator 4 Dates
Creator 4 Role
Architects / Builders (The Beneficent Congregational Church)
Storefronts -- Rhode Island -- Providence; City blocks -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Streets--Design and construction; Downtown districts -- Rhode Island -- Providence
228 Weybosset St
Smolski, Chester; C.W.; George; and Bernard, Eddy and John Newman, "Weybosset St: Loew's Theatre and Beneficent Church" (1970). Smolski Images. 972.
street scene, downtown, Providence downtown, commercial streets, Providence Performing Arts Center, religious architecture, theater, theater renovation