The Renaissance Vinoy Resort & Golf Club in St. Petersburg was built in 1925. The building was constructed in the Mediterranean Revival design complete with cypress-beamed ceilings and handmade tile work. The hotel also has its own private marina known as the Vinoy Marina. The Vinoy has gone through many phases in its history. In early 1940’s, during World War II, it was converted into a training facility for the Army Air Corps, in the 1970’s the hotel fell on hard times and was in a state of disrepair and became a haven for vagrants. It wasn’t until 1992 that a 93 million dollar restoration project restored and expanded the Vinoy into what it is today.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Buildings -- Historic buildings -- Historical hotel -- Hotels -- Maintenance and repair -- Vangrancy;
United States of America
501 Fifth Avenue NE
Smolski, Chet and Taylor, Henry L., "Saint Petersburg: Renaissance Vinoy Resort" (1978). Browse All. 851.
Historic buildings, historic hotels, Renaissance Vinoy Resort, Mediterranean Revival design, architecture American, abandoned, vagrancy