This 1968 photograph shows the recently completed modern Coventry Cathedral beside the ruins of the Medieval Parish Church Cathedral of St. Michael, commonly referred to as the Old Coventry Cathedral. The old cathedral was heavily damaged in 1940 by bombs dropped by the Luftwaffe.
Basil Spence was selected to be the architect of the new St. Michael’s Cathedral in 1950. An important factor was that his design called for the preservation of the old cathedral as a garden of remembrance.
The old cathedral and it’s modernist counterpart together make one living church that has become a symbol of faith and reconcilement for Europe.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Architecture -- Religious Architecture -- West Midlands -- Coventry;
Smolski, Chet, "Coventry: Coventry Cathedral, Old and New" (1968). Browse All. 538.
cathedral, historic buildings, bomb damage, architecture, British