Interior photograph of the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Indianapolis Union Station. The hotel is located in the train shed which was completed in 1915. Following World War II the station saw rapidly declining numbers in passanger service fell increasing to a state of disrepair through the 1970s. In 1982, Indianapolis Union Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places. To give the building new use, in 1984 Woollen, Molzan and Partners were hired to redesign the station as a festival marketplace. The Crowne Plaza hotel was added at this time in the train shed, including twenty six rooms in refurbished Pullman cars.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Architecture -- Historic Buildings -- Indiana -- Indianapolis;
United States of America
Smolski, Chet, "Indianapolis: Crowne Plaza Hotel at Indianapolis Union Station, Interior" (1993). Browse All. 473.
architecture, American; downtown revitalization; historic buildings; preservation; Indianapolis Union Station; Indianapolis, Indiana;