Chet Smolski, Rhode Island College


image preview


Summer 8-1971


This is the old Bull Dog Tavern built in 1798. This tavern may have given the name to the area as Bull Dog Square, later Randall Square. It survived the fire that took the American Screw Company in July 1971. Richard Smith of Smithfield, RI took up the tavern’s ownership in 1820. During this time, Richard utilized the large assembly room to conduct religious meetings on Sundays, which eventually gave rise to the Fourth Baptist Church Society.



This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 1 Role


Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.


Randall Square;