The Narragansett Electric Lighting Company had buildings on Eddy St. (pictured) and on Manchester St. They were once connected by an overhead conveyor belt, but no longer are. The Eddy St. building is no longer active as a power plant, and was donated to the Heritage Harbor in the early 90s, to be used as a consortium for historical archives. The Manchester St. plant, however, is still functional, and remains similar in appearance to when it was first built. It was purchased and renamed the Dominion Energy Manchester Street Station.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Aerial views -- Providence (RI); Electric power-plants -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Providence River (RI); Historic districts -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Express highways -- Rhode Island
342 Eddy St.
Smolski, Chester, "Providence: Narragansett Electric Lighting Co, South Street Station (aerial)" (1976). Browse All. 1020.
jewelry district, abandoned, downtown, cityscape, city planning, Providence, RI