"It is situated at the northern limit of New Hampshire's short 18-mile seacoast, a seacoast perhaps best known for its beaches at Hampton and Rye. It was founded in 1630 on the south bank of Piscataqua at a location where wild strawberries were common, and carried the name 'Strawbery Banke" until 1653 when its name was changed to Portsmouth. Today, New Hampshire's only seaport is actively engaged in preserving this heritage of more than three centuries and to retain an architectural charm rivaling that of any New England seaport community."
Smolski, Chester, "An Old Seaport Learns to Compete" (1978). Smolski Texts. 58.