Photographer/Creator

Chester Smolski

Preview

image preview

Date

1-1-1976

Description

The Joseph and William Russell House was a once-handsome and sophisticated dwelling of the 18th century mercantile elite in the late Georgian Style, and is the earliest remaining example of the kind of three story, cubicle brick houses that were built to symbolize in 18th century Providence. By the 20th century it was being used as a rooming house. It was raised a full story and now sits above a storefront. Surviving is the original Corinthian, segmental arch-pediment entrance.

Notes

Bibliography: Woodward, William McKenzie and Edward F. Sanderson. Providence: A Citywide Survey of Historic Resources. Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission: Providence, 1986, pp. 203. Woodward, William McKenzie. PPS/AlAri Guide to Providence Architecture. Providence, RI: Providence Preservation Society, 2003, pp. 25.

Rights

This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact digitalcommons@ric.edu. All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 2 Dates

1777

Creator 2 Role

Architect

Creator 3 Dates

1777

Creator 3 Role

Architect

Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.

Keywords

shops, downtown, architecture, American, architecture, Georgian, Russell House

COinS