image preview




This photo was taken in 1979 and shows the deconstruction of a parking garage in front of Union Station on Exchange Terrace. Union Station was designed by Stone, Carpenter, and Willson in 1893 and constructed three years later by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. The station was the main terminal of the Providence train station from 1898 to 1986. A massive fire occurred in 1987 and nearly destroyed the entire building.


Bibliography: Woodward, William McKenzie and Edward F. Sanderson. "Providence: A Citywide Survey of Historical Resources." Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission, 1986, pp. 104-105.


This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 2 Dates


Creator 2 Role


Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.


urban development, urban renewal, downtown, railroad, urban transportation