North Burial Ground was Providence’s first dedicated open space. Ten acres were allocated north of the “Compact Part of Town” in 1700 by a land grant from the town meeting. The first interment, however, was not until 1710-11, although it has been used steadily until the present day. The burial ground now comprises 150 acres. Prior to 1990, there were 16 registered cemeteries in the city of Providence. Currently, there are 39 with a total of 45 estimated to exist. Of the estimated 90,000 headstones estimated to exist, 44,900 have been entered into the database.”
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Cemeteries -- Rhode Island -- Providence -- North Burial Ground; Aerial photography in land use -- Rhode Island -- Providence -- North Burial Ground
United States of America
10 Branch Ave.
Smolski, Chet, "Aerial View of North Burial Ground, North Main St." (1985). Browse All. 93.
aerial, cemeteries, North Burial Ground