image preview




Camp Randall Field was a former Union Army training ground that was donated to the University of Wisconsin in 1893. It was quickly put to use as an athletic field. After numerous problems with the original wooden bleachers, culminating in a collapse of three sections during a 1915 game, concrete seating was first constructed and opened in 1917. This photograph from 1964 shows the stadiums former horseshoe shape. In the following years an upper deck and other seating was added.

To the south of the field is the Wisconsin Field House which was constructed using a design by local architect Arthur Peabody. The structure hosts both athletic events and public events such as concerts and gatherings. Built in a style that resembles the Italian Renaissance, the field house was completed in 1930.

Notes (accessed 18 June 2012) (accessed 18 June 2012)


This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 1 Role


Creator 2 Dates


Creator 2 Role


Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.


sports; athletics; stadiums; Renaissance revival; University of Wisconsin; Camp Randall Field; Wisconsin Field House;