The Sacred Heart Catholic Church is one of the oldest churches in the city of Tampa, Florida. Originally deeded to be at Ashley Drive and Twiggs Street, the Sacred Heart Church was constructed in 1859 on North Florida Ave. With a growing parish, the church gained an addition of two wings in 1883. Finally in 1905, at a cost of $300,000 the Jesuits rebuilt the current standing structure similar to the original. The church was designed in the Romanesque style with the exterior being a combination of white marble and granite.
A total of 70 stained glass windows decorate the building. The most prominent of the windows are the 3 vertical ones on the left side of this photo. The larger middle panel depicts the risen Christ. The two surrounding panels depict scenes after Christ rose. These include one of Mary Magdalene and Martha as they approach the tomb and another of two soldiers fleeing from the opening tomb.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Church architecture -- Florida -- Tampa; City churches -- Florida -- Tampa; Historic buildings -- Florida -- Tampa; Religious architecture -- Florida -- Tampa; Sacred Heart Catholic Church (Fla.);
United States of America
509 North Florida Avenue
Smolski, Chet and Clayton, Nicholas J., "Tampa: Sacred Heart Catholic Church" (1978). Browse All. 842.
Tampa, Florida, churches, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, downtown