The rectangular plot of land seen in the center of this aerial shot is known as Marion Square. The grounds are home to many monuments as well as the South Carolina State Arsenal, aka the Old Citadel. The tall statue to the middle left of the area is the John C. Calhoun Statue. The monument was originally constructed in 1858 in honor of John Calhoun, the former vice president, senator, and secretary of state. It was however replaced in 1896 due to its poor quality. This 115 foot tall statue now stands looking out over all of the city.
The Old Citadel, which was home to the county offices through much of the twentieth century, was remodeled in the 1990s into a luxury hotel The reuse came at the expense of virtually all of the buildings historic integrity.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Marion Square (Charleston, S.C.); Architecture -- Monuments -- Sculpture -- South Carolina -- Charleston; Statues -- Charleston, S.C. -- John C. Calhoun Statue;
United States of America
329 Meeting St.
Smolski, Chet, "Charleston: Marion Square" (1978). Browse All. 804.
aerial, Marion Square, John C. Calhoun statue, South Carolina, Charleston, downtown