The Citadel is a military college in South Carolina that has it’s roots in the nineteenth century, and was originally used by Confederate soldiers in the nineteenth century. Federal troops occupied the original Citadel during the reconstruction until 1879 at which time it returned to use as a military school. The school was relocated to the campus, as pictured, by the banks of the Ashley River in 1922. The architecture at the new Citadel, which occupies several buildings, was based on the Romanaesque design of the original Citadel by Frederick Wesner.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Military education -- United States -- South Carolina; Architecture -- 20th century; Architecture, Modern -- 20th century -- Romanesque Revival; Land use -- Aerial photography in land use;
United States of America
Smolski, Chet, "Charleston: The Citadel: Military College of South Carolina" (1978). Browse All. 793.
aerial, military school, land use, Citadel Military College of South Carolina