The College of Charleston is one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in the United States. It was founded in 1770. This photograph shows the quad and an obscured view of Randolph Hall. The building was created in two parts, the center of the building was began in 1828 and designed by architect William Strickland, who designed the building in the Greek Revival style. In the 1850s architect Edward B. White was commissioned to design the wings, giving the building elements of the Federal style, though both architects were champions of the Greek Revival style.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Creator 3 Dates
Creator 3 Role
College Buildings -- South Carolina; Architecture -- 19th century; Architecture, Greek -- Greek revival (Architecture) -- South Carolina -- Charleston;
United States of America
Smolski, Chet; Wesner, Frederick; and White, Edward Brickell, "Chaleston: Randolph Hall at College of Charleston" (1978). Browse All. 792.
architecture, American, historic buildings, neoclassicism, universities, Greek revival