This photograph shows Metzudat Ze’ev, an office building in Tel Aviv named for Vladimir Jabotinsky. Jabotinksy was a leader of the right-wing, anti-socialist movement within Zionism. Jabotinsky argued that the future of the Jewish state depended on the energy and resourcefulness of the people in areas of manufacturing.
The building houses, among businesses, the Likud party’s staff, the Jabotinsky Museum and the Jabotinsky Institute. The building was planned in the 1930s but was not completed until 1963. It is designed in the Brutalist architectural style.
Also seen in this photograph is Tel Aviv City Hall, designed by Menahem Cohen, winner of a 1957 design competition for the building.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Creator 3 Role
Land use -- Aerial photography in land use -- Israel -- Tel Aviv; Cities and towns -- Israel -- Tel Aviv; Architecture, Modern -- 20th century -- Modern movement;
Smolski, Chet, "Tel Aviv: Metzudat Ze’ev (also known as Beit Jabotinsky) & Tel Aviv City Hall" (1980). Browse All. 654.
brutalism, municipalities, Jabotinsky, modernism, architecture