Ghiradelli Square was originally the headquarters for the Ghiradelli Choolate Company, which purchased the entire city block in 1893. In the 1960s the square went up for sale and the purchasers readapted it to house a restaurant and shops making it the first major adaptive re-use project in the United States. In 1982 Ghiradelli Square was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The fountain was made by Ruth Asawa, a California native and American artist.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Cities and towns -- California -- San Francisco; Shopping centers -- California -- San Francisco; Urban development -- California -- San Francisco;
United States of America
Smolski, Chet and Asawa, Ruth, "San Francisco: Ghiradelli Fountain" (2011). Browse All. 612.
arts, retail, shops, city dwellers, historic, public spaces, Ghiradelli Square, statues