This photograph shows the Confederate Monument in Commercial Place, formerly Market Square. The Monument was began in 1899, and in 1907 the bronze statue of Johnny Reb, the symbol of the southern states, was added to the top.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Monuments -- Soldiers’ monuments -- Virginia -- Norfolk; Architecture -- Buildings -- Virginia -- Norfolk;
United States of America
Smolski, Chet and Cooper, William, "Norfolk: Confederate Monument, Commercial Place" (2011). Browse All. 567.
civil war, confederacy, monuments, architecture, American, arts