The Confederate Monument in Commercial Place had it’s corner stone laid on the thirty second anniversary of Confederate President Jefferson Davis’ inauguration. In 1907 a bronze statue of Johnny Reb, the personification of the southern states, was placed atop the monument. It was briefly dismantled in the late 1960s when construction of the Bank of America was underway. In 1971 it was reassembled. The Bank of America center, a 23 story modernist office tower was completed in 1967.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Monuments -- Soldiers’ monuments -- Virginia -- Norfolk; Architecture -- Buildings -- Virginia -- Norfolk;
United States of America
Smolski, Chet and Cooper, William, "Norfolk: Confederate Monument, Bank of America Center," (1985). Browse All. 566.
civil war, confederacy, monuments, architecture, American, arts