The Henry Clay Estate, also known as Ashland, is the mansion on the plantation owned by Henry Clay, Sr. Henry Clay represented Kentucky in both the House and Senate in the first half of the 19th century. His mansion was originally constructed in 1806 and designed in the Federalist style by Benjamin Latrobe. However, the structure was unstable and his son James had the house razed in 1854, and rebuilt by 1857. The present structure utilized some of the original house’s features, including the floorplan and foundation, but Thomas Lewinski, the houses new architect, updated the house stylistically.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Architecture -- 19th century;
United States of America
Smolski, Chet and Lewinski, Thomas, "Lexington: Ashland (Henry Clay Estate)" (1994). Browse All. 550.
architecture, American, greek revival, mansion