In 1986, the current Providence Station was built to replace the 1898 Union Station, as part of a redevelopment project to free up land from a mass of train tracks that had hemmed in downtown Providence. It is much smaller than its predecessor, reflecting the diminished local role of railroad transit. Designed by Marilyn Jordan Taylor of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, LLP, local architectural historian William McKenzie Woodward lauds the building for its aesthetics, calling its saucer dome "an obvious yet very gracious gesture toward the (Rhode Island) State House."
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Creator 3 Role
Providence Station (Providence, RI);Architecture, Postmodern -- Rhode Island -- Providence -- Railroad station; Capital Center (Providence, RI); Rhode Island State House (Providence, RI)
One Station Place
Smolski, Chet; Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; and Marilyn Taylor, "Providence Station and Rhode Island State House" (1986). Browse All. 54.
railroad station, state house, Providence Station, Capital Center