This photograph shows the town of Swindon in Wiltshire county. Since being named an Expander Town in 1952, Swindon has experienced significant growth, and the density of the residential neighborhoods is illustrated here. Smolski acknowledges this, noting on the slide itself that it is the largest industrial town in Wiltshire.
Identified at frame left is Christ Church on Crickdale St, a large Victorian Gothic church completed in 1851. It was designed by architect George Gilbert Scott.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Cities and Towns -- Wiltshire -- Swindon; Architecture, Modern -- 19th Century -- Architecture, Victorian; Housing;
Smolski, Chet and Scott, George Gilbert, "Swindon: Residential Neighborhood, Chirst Church" (1972). Smolski Images. 495.
architecture, Victorian, Swindon, housing, neighborhood, cathedral