King’s Chapel was originally a small wooden chapel located on the corner of Tremont and School street (1630). Construction of King’s Chapel “Stone Chapel” began in 1749 and was completed in 1754. The burial ground originates around the wooden original, as it is the resting ground of the first Boston mayor, John Winthrop (1649). The statue is of Benjamin Franklin, Boston born but Philadelphia deceased and buried in.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Architecture -- Massachusetts -- Boston; Architecture -- Religious architecture; Cemeteries -- Massachusetts -- Boston; Statues
Tremont and School Streets
Smolski, Chester and Harrison, Peter, "Boston: Kings Chapel & Burial Ground" (1972). Browse All. 340.
King’s Chapel; religious architecture; Boston, Massachusetts;