This structure is the gate house for the Valley Falls mill complex. It was part of a damn that redirected water into a trench that powered the mill. In the 1970s the Central Falls half of the complex was redeveloped as elderly housing, while the rest remained abandoned until 1991 when it was transformed into a historic park by the Blackstone Valley Nation Heritage Corridor.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Cities and Towns -- Rhode Island -- Central Falls;
United States of America
1485 High St.
Smolski, Chet, "Valley Falls Mill Complex Gatehouse" (1974). Browse All. 313.
abandoned; mills; Blackstone River;