Chet Smolski, Rhode Island College


image preview


Fall 11-1978


Rhode Island College, originally referred to as the Normal School, has occupied several locations and changed names throughout the years. Rhode Island College is known as one of the first teacher preparatory schools in the country. Having out-grown locations on Westminster and then Benefit street, the college built a new campus in 1898 in downtown Providence. The campus was built specifically for the college on Capitol Hill, beside the State House, where the Providence Place Mall now stands. In the early 1900s, the school assumed the name the Rhode Island College of Education. The name was shortened in 1960 to Rhode Island College.

During the 1958-1959 academic year, the college moved to its current location on a 180-acre campus in the Mount Pleasant Section of Providence. The entrance to the John Nazarian Center for the Performing Arts incorporates a portico from the 1898 building.



This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 1 Role


Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.


Rhode Island College; Rhode Island College of Education; Providence, Rhode Island; downtown; land use; suburban sprawl; colleges;