The 1840s Blackstone Falls mill complex was turned into 133 units of housing for the elderly. The mill was located on a difficult site: two of its buildings were on an island in the Blackstone River, connected by a series of bridges across a canal. Existing materials were reused wherever possible, and newly constructed buildings in the complex were sheathed in brick and stucco to maintain the mill’s historic appearance.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
City planning and redevelopment law -- Housing -- Rhode Island -- Central Falls; Housing -- City planning -- Rhode Island -- Central Falls; Public welfare -- old age assistance;
United States of America
1485 High St.
Smolski, Chet, "Blackstone Falls" (1974). Browse All. 277.
elderly housing; mills; public housing; Central Falls, Rhode Island;