Providence's first railroad station was Union Railroad Depot, a brick edifice built in 1847 and designed by Thomas A. Tefft for the Providence and Worcester, Providence and Stonington, and Boston and Providence Railroads. This building was lost to fire in 1896, and replaced by a newer Union Station, completed 1898, which consisted of five large brick structures, built by New Haven Railroad. It was considered "a brilliant example of Romanesque architecture" in its time, and the longest building in America. Union Station was in the process of being redesigned for office and retail use when it suffered an upper stories fire on April 26, 1987.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Aerial photography in city planning-- Rhode Island-- Providence; Urban renewal-- Rhode Island-- Providence; City planning-- Rhode Island-- Providence; Land use, Urban-- Rhode Island-- Providence; Railroad stations -- Remodeling for other use -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Union Station (Providence, RI); Capital Center (Providence, RI); Automobile parking -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Urban Development -- Rhode Island -- Providence;
4 Exchange Terrace
Smolski, Chet, "Union Station damaged by fire and excavations to the north" (1987). Smolski Images. 27.
Union Station, city planning, aerials, land use, Capital Center, river relocation