In 1743, Stephen Hopkins purchased a home built in 1707. Hopkins attached his own two-story house to the structure, built with a single ground floor room on either side of a central hallway and two chimneys He installed a fine staircase with stocky balusters set in a heavy, molded closed string course, and good paneling and trim. The handsome shell cupboard over the fireplace and the over-door panels are similar to other homes built before the Revolutionary War. The home was moved up the hill from its original location at the foot of Hopkins Street on South Main Street in 1804. Governor Hopkins firmly supported independence from Great Britain and was one of the two Rhode Island Signers of the Declaration of Independence. George Washington visited Hopkins in his house, which has operated as a museum since the 1920s. Alden Hopkins, a descendant of Governor Hopkins and resident landscape architect at Colonial Williamsburg designed the 18th-century parterre garden.
Creator 1 Role
Single family dwelling
Architecture -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Historic buildings -- Rhode Island -- Providence;
15 Hopkins Street
Smolski, Chester, "Historic Stephen Hopkins House (1974)" (1974). Browse All. 264.
Providence, Rhode Island; architecture; historic buildings; museums;