The building looks like a skyscraper due to its slender massing. The client for this building was bank president Marsden J. Perry. Building was built by architects Stone, Carpenter & Willson. A 12-story, brick and stone sheathed, steel frame office building. Finished with a melange Renaissance and late Georgian Revival detailing. Corinthian column entrance, bas-relief figures of an Indian and a Puritan, carved by Daniel Chester French, recline on their elbows. First skyscraper in Providence to use the classical base-shaft-capital organization for tall buildings. Refurbished in 1981, additions and renovations were made in 1920, 1928, and in 1964. Greater Providence Trust Company acquired the building in 1982 for use of its banking headquarters and undertook careful restoration of this historic structure.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 2 Role
Historic buildings -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Architecture -- Rhode Island -- Providence;
United States of America
62 Dorrance St.
Stone, Carpenter & Willson, "Union Trust Company Building (Detail)" (2011). Browse All. 254.
Union Trust Co Building; Providence; architecture;