Chet Smolski, Rhode Island College


image preview


Spring 5-1978


In the late 19th century, summer visitors began flocking to the Narragansett shore for a reprieve from city life. The Seaview Trolley Line from Providence to Narragansett began in 1900 and greatly increased the number of seasonal visitors. The grand wooden hotels and homes that lined the Narragansett Pier during this time were either destroyed by fire or demolished by the 1930s. The 1970s brought developers to the area who created mall-like housing and shops known as The Pier Village Apartments.


Jordy, William H., “Building of Rhode Island.” New York: Oxford University Press, 2004. pp. 367-368


This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 1 Role


Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.


housing; commerical development; tourism; waterfront; Narragansett, RI