image preview




Designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White and constructed from 1895 to 1904. The building is made up of 327,000 cubic feet of white Georgia marble, 15 million bricks, and 1,309 short tons of iron floor beams. The dome of the State House is the fourth-largest self-supporting marble dome in the world. On top of the dome is a gold-covered bronze statue known as the Independent Man, originally named "Hope." In this picture, Providence Station, an answer to redirect train transportation is underway, completed in 1986.


Bibliography: Woodward, W.M. McKenzie. PPS/AlAri Guide to Providence Architecture. Providence Preservation Society, 2003. pp. 107, 303-305.


This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 2 Role


Creator 3 Role

Architectural Firm

Creator 4 Role


Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.


aerial, highways, urban renewal, city planning, state house, train station: Providence Station, railroads, Capital Center