image preview


Spring 5-8-1985


Seen here is an aerial view of Roger Williams Park which was named after the founder of Providence, Roger Williams. The park evolved from a 100 acre parcel that Betsy Williams gave to the city in 1871. Today the park is a 430 acre public park. The park’s architect was H.W.S. Cleveland.


Jordy, Buildings of Rhode Island, (Oxford, 2004), 132-134.


This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact All uses must include appropriate attribution.

Creator 1 Role


Creator 2 Role

Landscape Architect

Recommended Citation

Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, MSS-0041, Special Collections, James P. Adams Library, Rhode Island College.


park; Roger Williams Park;