The original Christian church which stood on this site was the burial site of many kings and royal notables. After William the Conquerer appointed his brother Walkelin as Bishop of Winchester, the original cathedral was replaced by what would evolve into the present day structure. In the 12th century the original tower collapsed and was replaced with the one pictured. The Norman style cathedral stretches 556 feet, making it the longest medieval cathedral, and the second longest cathedral in Europe.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Religious architecture; Church architecture; Cathedrals; Historic buildings; Historic buildings -- England
Smolski, Chester and Walkelin, Bishop, "Winchester Cathedral" (1973). Browse All. 1116.
cathedral, architectural heritage, historic buildings, historic