Here is a view of Providence’s East Side with three of the oldest churches in the city in the College Hill neighborhood. To the left of the image is a view of the Cathedral of St. John, which is located on North Main Street. This church was built by John Holden Greene in 1810. Also seen is the First Baptist Church also located on North Main Street. This church was built between 1774 and 1775. The First Unitarian Church, located on Benevolent St., is also seen in this shot. This church was also built by John Holden Greene between 1815 and 1816.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 1 Role
Space (Architecture) – Rhode Island -- Providence; Historic buildings – Rhode Island -- Providence; City churches -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Church architecture -- Rhode Island -- Providence;
United States of America
271 North Main St.
Smolski, Chet, "View of Providence East Side from State Street & a view of the Cathedral of St. John" (2011). Browse All. 107.
East Side; Providence; College Hill; First Unitarian Church; Cathedral of St. John; First Baptist Church