Worcester Common pictured from the entrance to Worcester Center, a shopping mall opened in 1971. The mall was demolished during 2000s era redevelopment after two failed attempts at revitalization. City hall (center), and it’s accompanying commons, was completed in 1898. It is an Italianate structure designed by Robert Peabody and John Stearns. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Peabody and Stearns are known for their incorporation of the tower as a key architectural form. The Worcester City Hall tower resembles that of the original Providence train station (now destroyed), also designed by Peabody and Stearns.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 2 Role
Renaissance revival (Architecture) -- Massachusetts -- Worcester; City planning -- Massachusetts -- Worcester; City Hall (Worcester, Mass); Urban development
100 Front St.
Smolski, Chester and Peabody and Stearns, "Worcester Common from Worcester Center" (1979). Browse All. 1036.
city planning, architecture, renaissance revival, downtown, downtown, malls, abandoned, fashion outlets, peabody and stearn, tower, worcester galleria, worcester common outlets, national register of historic places, italianate, common