The Blackstone Block resided between the Providence National Bank and the Turk's Head Building. It was a work of the architect James C. Bucklin, whose other works include the Providence Arcade and the Monohassett Mill. A four-story office building constructed in 1861, the building signified a Renaissance Revival style, with its rusticated window caps and simple cornice molding. The building was demolished in 1979 and prior to its demolition, it had become the home of a Columbus National Bank, whose residence in the Blackstone Block barely extended to a decade.
This object from the Chester E. Smolski photographic slides and publications, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates are the intellectual property of Rhode Island College. This digital object is protected by copyright and/or related rights. The digital material presented here is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This content can be used, shared, or adapted for educational and scholarly purposes. For permissions to use this item please contact email@example.com. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Urban renewal -- Rhode Island -- Providence; City blocks -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Downtown districts -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Renaissance revival (Architecture); Cornices
27 Weybosset St
Smolski, Chester and James C., "The Blackstone Block" (1978). Browse All. 1006.
demolition, downtown, banks, office space, historic buildings, Providence downtown