Download Full Text (11.3 MB)
The article examines how in 1920 the church of the Holy Ghost parish was divided to create a new parish: Our Lady of Mount Caramel. This decision was made in response to the increasing Italian American population, and to provide a new space for the peoples of Federal Hill to worship. The article also states moments of the development that followed of Our Lady of Mount Caramel, such as the purchase and demolition of surrounding properties to better utilize the space of the church and neighborhood in the 1960s onwards.
This object from the Joseph Muratore Collection, housed by the Rhode Island College Special Collections, and any of its digital surrogates may be protected by copyright. The copyright status and/or the copyright owner of this object is unknown or undetermined. This content must be used in accordance with United States copyright law, which may require you to obtain permissions. Use of these materials for research and educational purposes may be covered by Fair Use. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. All uses must include appropriate attribution.
Muratore, Joseph R. "The Landmarks of Federal Hill: Developmental History of Our Lady of Mount Caramel Church." The Echo [Providence] 08 Nov. 1979: pp. 18-19. Print.
Architectural History and Criticism Commons, Civic and Community Engagement Commons, Demography, Population, and Ecology Commons, Urban, Community and Regional Planning Commons, Urban Studies Commons, Work, Economy and Organizations Commons