Photographer/Creator

Chet Smolski, Rhode Island College

Preview

image preview

Date

Spring 3-1978

Description

Pictured across the street on the corner of 1st and 4th Avenues (North) in St. Petersburg is the World War Heroes Memorial in Williams Park. Engrave with the word “loyalty” located at the top, this memorial was erected by the St. Petersburg chapter of American War Mothers to commemorate those who fought in the first World War from 1917-1918. The memorial was built on January 1st 1938 and still stands in the park today. A quote from the memorial reads “God gave us sons: we gave them our country and our country gave them back to God.”

Parks are an important addition to all cities. They are a place for a cities’ historical markers to reside and they offer a brief respite from the urban sprawl around them. Smolski says that urban parks are “the lungs of the city” which provide “breathing space in a harsh concrete & asphalt environment.”

Notes

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1JZP_Heros_of_the_World_War_Memorial_St_Petersburg_FL

(Accessed on 17 May 2012)

Smolski, Chester, "City Parks are for People: Viewpoint" (1975). Smolski Texts. Paper 10. http://digitalcommons.ric.edu/smolski_text/10

(Accessed on 17 May 2012)

Creator 1 Role

Photographer

Building Type

Public sculpture

Themes

Parks for People

Subject Headings

Historical Monuments -- Memorials -- World War, 1914-1918;

Country Name

United States of America

Region Name

Florida

City Name

Saint Petersburg

Street Address

1st Avenue (North)

Keywords

Williams Park, St. Petersburg, Florida, monuments, World War Heroes Memorial, American War Mothers, city park, parks, historical markers

Share

COinS