The four story building to the left of this photo is known as the Kress Building in downtown Tampa, Florida. Originally opened in 1900 on Franklin Street, the store was soon relocated to Florida Avenue in 1908. That store was demolished in 1929. That same year, the most recent building was built in the Renaissance Revival architectural style by G. E. McKay. Known for its two identical Renaissance Revival terra-cotta facades, the building is styled with bronze marquees, coats of arms. This historic building was once part of the S.H. Kress & Co. department store chain.
In more recent years, the building has sat downtown vacant and worn down.
Creator 1 Role
Creator 2 Role
Renaissance revival (Architecture) -- Florida -- Tampa; Tampa (Fla.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.; Cities and towns -- Florida -- Tampa; The Kress Building (Tampa, Fla.);
United States of America
811 North Franklin Street
Smolski, Chet and McKay, G. E., "Florida: Kress Building in Downtown Tampa" (1978). Smolski Images. 837.