Preview

image preview

Date

1987

Description

Ebenezer Knight Dexter bequeathed this large parcel to the Town of Providence upon his death. In the 1840s, this was only a 10-acre tract for militia training. At the turn of the century it was supplanted by the new building seen today. It is by far the grandest of four large armory commissions used by William R. Walker & Son, and impressive measured against any United States armory. 235 feet by 165 feet and 90 feet from the floor to the crown of its arching. Abandoned by the National Guard in 1996

Notes

Bibliography: Jordy, William H. "Buildings of Rhode Island." Oxford, 2004, pp. 132. Woodward, W.M. McKenzie. PPS/AlAri Guide to Providence Architecture. Providence Preservation Society, 2003. pp. 204.

Creator 2 Role

Architectural Firm

Creator 3 Dates

1830-1905

Creator 3 Role

Architect

Creator 4 Dates

1865-1922

Creator 4 Role

Architect

Building Style

Romanesque Revival (Edwardian)

Themes

Urban Redevelopment

Subject Headings

Aerial photography in land use -- Rhode Island -- Land use,; Urban -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Armories -- Rhode Island -- Providence; Cranston Street Armory (Providence, RI); Providence, RI -- Buildings, structures, etc

Country Name

United States

Region Name

Rhode Island

City Name

Providence

Street Address

Parade, Cranston, Dexter Streets and Hollywood Road, Cranston, Rhode Island

Keywords

aerials, armories, abandoned, land use

Share

COinS