Preview

image preview

Date

1-1-1985

Description

The Old St. Louis County Courthouse was built in 1828 and featured several significant trials, including the Dred Scott vs. Sanford case, and the Virginia Louisa Minor case for women's suffrage. In 1940, the city of St. Louis gave the Courthouse over to the Federal Government who then created the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park. The Park also features the Gateway Arch, designed by architect Eero Saarinen and built in 1965. The Gateway Arch reflects St. Louis' role in the Westward Expansion of the United States during the 19th century.

Notes

Bibliography: National Park Service. "Jefferson National Expansion Memorial." National Parks Service - U.S. Department of the Interior, 2016. www.nps.gov. Accessed 06 Oct. 2016. "Saint Louis Historical Old Courthouse." Saint Louis Front Page, 2016. slfp.com/OldCourthouse.html. Accessed 06 Oct. 2016.

Creator 1 Role

Photographer

Creator 2 Role

Architect

Building Type

Courthouse

Building Style

Greek Revival

Subject Headings

Arches; Historic buildings; Monuments; Arches -- Missouri; Gateway Arch (Saint Louis, Mo)

Country Name

United States

Region Name

Missouri

City Name

St. Louis

Street Address

Market St.

Keywords

courthouse, St. Louis, historic, historic buildings, urban redevelopment, downtown, downtown revitalization, park

Share

COinS