The original structure at this location was a wood-frame house named The Breakers designed by Peabody and Stearns and owned by Pierre Lorillard. The property was purchased by Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1885 who replaced the original Breakers with this 150,000 square foot Renaissance Revival mansion by Richard Morris Hunt.
Creator 2 Dates
Creator 2 Role
Renaissance revival (Architecture); Mansions -- Rhode Island -- Newport; Historic buildings -- Rhode Island -- Newport
44 Ochre Point Ave
Smolski, Chester; Hunt, Richard Morris; and , "Newport: Cornelius Vanderbilt II House (The Breakers)" (1974). Smolski Images. 1069.