Slide ID

CV-80-149

_pkUnique ID

CV80149

Slide Date

1980

Preview

image preview

Island

São Nicolau

Province or Jurisdiction

São Nicolau

City / Village

Villa da Ribeira Brava

Date

1980

Description

This building was a seminary for almost 100 years where many of Cape Vere's leaders recieved their education. The building was donated by Júlio José Dias who donated the house in 1866 to three canons, three priests and three students who had arrived on the island that year with the hopes of starting a seminary. It eventually became an attraction for the countries brightest students and made Cape Verde the center for evangelization of Portuguese West Africa until 1931 when it was closed permanently.

Keywords

education; seminary; school;

Notes

Irwin, Aisling and Wilson, Colum. Cape Verde Islands: The Bradt Travel Guide. (Guilford, 2001). pp. 240-1

Copyright

Rhode Island College

Box

1

Folder

2

Image Dimensions

5253x3478

Software

VueScan

Date Time Scanned

11-8-2010 12:00 AM

Color Space

RGB

File Size

3.1 MB

Document Type

Image

Keywords

education; seminary; school;

Share

COinS